Is any gasoline in Canada available without ethanol?

January 18, 2015

I asked the following question on Quora:

In Canada Shell 91 gasoline is reputed not to have an ethanol content despite regulations requiring 10% ethanol in all gasoline sold in Canada. Is there ethanol-free fuel available for sale in Canada?

Jason Salvatori replied.

Shell 91, (or V-Power 93) and most of the other brand “premium” gasolines do not have ethanol. The Canadian regulation requires 10% ethanol average in its fuel, by volume sold. So your lowest tier (usually 87 octane) will have 10% to 15% ethanol in it. Most people buy this as it is the cheapest (often 10 to 12 cents/L less than the premium). The mid-range gas (89 octane) will have 5% to 7% ethanol. Let’s say that by this point 95% of the people have bought gas with ethanol in it. This leave the other 5% able to buy ethanol-free gasoline and still have the retailer meet the regulatory requirements.

It is also mandated that gasoline with ethanol be labeled as such. When you go to the pump, there will be a sticker beside it saying “may contain up to xx% ethanol.” The ethanol free ones will also be labeled.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: